August 16, 2006
Ever Tire of playing the game with too much technology to research and end up beating the game with attaining only mediocre weapons such as graviton beam? Well here is the solution, a fix created to reduce the time it takes to achieve technolgies and yet still having fun researching the best technologies possible. This was a very tidious expedition. It took over 5 hours to complete, with taking many averages between technolgies in there same category and so forth. By the way this was created with version 1.2. but can be played with all versions(see notes below)*
Thus, it is all accurate and holds in my opinion the best technology tree possible. No manipulations in any other code are needed to do with the game whatsoever, only to the techtree.xml file. All you do is make a backup copy of the old techtree.xml(in case you want to use it again) and replace it with this one in GalCiv2\Data\English folder. The only change I have made is changing hyperwarp III to the new name: "Ludicrous Speed" -from Spaceballs(it seems to suit the title well). Everything else comes from Stardock's configurations. Have a go at it and see what you think of this. Good Luck and enjoy!!
* NOTE!!!::: There has been some confustion and here is the clarification: Make sure that you only copy and paste the file "Techtree.xml" inside of the folder I labled -Techtree mod-. Reason: Because the game will crash after you delete the main techtree.xml file if you only copy the "TECHTREE MOD" into the directory becuase the game is looking for the file I made and not the folder I put it in. Also do not put the file in the mod folder that stardock created, because if you just deleted the file in the main directory and put my creation in the mod folder the game will crash because its searching for the main file that you deleted. Remember this also, do not load a saved game with this techtree.xml file because the game might create another copy of this file and or not work because this file was not with your old saved game!! YOU MUST START A NEW GAME WITH THIS FILE. Hope that clears up the confusion, if any.
Layman terms: After download, inside the folder -Techtree mod- copy the file "Techtree.xml" and paste it in the main folder GalCiv2\Data\English and nothing else but sit back and enjoy this!!
PS> Remember if you update the game to a new version you must either re-download this file and put it back in the directory or just put the file back in, otherwise you wont have this techtree!!
PS2> Remember I said to put it in the main folder, but you can actually put it in the mod folder to, that way you don't have to lose your original techtree.xml file...either way it's up to you, the user to decide!! have fun -Viithtrump
June 9, 2006
E-stab's Tech Tree Modification
- more effects & higher costs -
Version 1.0 (12-May-2006)
Backup and replace your file in \GalCiv2\Data\English\ with this techtree.xml.
All changes listed below are additional effects, except when they replace old effects.
No tech prerequisites have been added or changed, only tech costs and direct effects.
- reworked all tech costs to be higher and increase more further up the tree
- every new drive type gives +10% trade
- the three trade techs give +25% trade, "neutral shipping" gives +50% trade
- "xeno business" and "xeno cultural trends" now give +25% trade
- halved the range bonuses given by the support techs (to +10%/+20%/+25%/+25%)
- "advanced hulls" and "superior hulls" now give +10% hitpoints
- "reinforced hull design" and "hardened hull design" now give +25% hitpoints
- the four economic techs now give +10% economics and trade
- "galactic stock exchanges" even gives +20% trade
- the four industrial techs now give +10% social and military production
- the three terraforming techs now give +5% morale
- the four morale techs now give +5%/+10%/+15%/+20% loyalty
- the five diplomacy techs now give +10%/+15%/+20%/+25%/+30% diplomacy
- the three government techs now give +10% diplomacy and influence
- the six influence techs now give +10% influence (+20% for "cultural conquest")
- the moral alignment techs now give +10% diplomacy and influence
- "concepts of malice" and "concepts of righteousness" give +25% loyalty additionally
- the first five research techs (those giving new buildings) now give +5% research
- "neutrality learning centers" now gives +10% research
- "deeper knowledge" now gives +10% research
- "galactic understanding" now gives +10% diplomacy, influence, economics and production
- "near omniscience" now gives +15% weapons, defense, hitpoints, soldiering, miniaturization and +5 logistics
- "beyond mortality" now gives +25% morale and +50% loyalty
- each new weapon type (not the mark x ones) gives +5% weapons, +10% for the last
- the three "evil" extra weapon techs now give +15% weapons
- each new defense system (not the mark x ones) gives +5% defense, +10% for the last
- the four "good" extra defense techs now give +10% defense
- each logistics tech gives +1 logistics more